Pages

Wednesday, November 6, 2013

Day 3

Today was my first day at a new after school program at a sports complex that I have decided I will go to on Wednesday's. I think it will be good for me to get these 2 different experiences and this program so far seems like it will be lots of fun. At this program, there are children from a few different schools who attend. The student that I worked specifically with is in second grade and is a very nice young boy with a few developmental delays. While waiting for all the students to get to the program, since some get transported from farther away, we sat in the classroom for a little while coloring and talking about how school went that day. This was nice to have some down time to get to know a little bit about my student. Next, we went into the gym and did something that they called "Run Around the World". For this, students run lap and get a sticker each time they go around. Eight laps around equals one mile, so students get to guess how many miles total they think the class will run in 10 minutes. They also get to keep track of their own personal miles with a sticker chart back in the classroom and get prizes once they run a certain amount of miles. I think that this is a great system because it motivates kids to exercise and makes it a lot more fun than it would be without any incentive. After this, some mentors from a PED 201 class came, and they had games planned that they led for the class. Although I would have liked the chance to lead a game or two as well, it was fun to be able to continue hanging out with my student and play the games with all of the kids. During this time, I could give my student feedback about little things that he might need a little more help with during the activities. I think that is was good for him and I'm hoping that he liked having me there to do this as well. I had a lot of fun with this program and am excited to go back next week!

No comments:

Post a Comment